We are deeply honoured to welcome Professor Sebastian Brock, FBA, to lead a session of the Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group.
Please see below the details of this fascinating talk.
The reading material will be circulated to those who will register for this session.
Topic: Sarah and the Akedah: A Syriac Narrative Poem on Genesis 22
Speaker: Professor Sebastian Brock, FBA, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, UK.
Chair: Professor Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Willard Prescott and Annie McClelland Smith Professor of History and Religion, Brown University, USA.
Date: 13 October, 2022
Time: 17:00-18:00 BST | 9:00-10:00 PT | 12:00-13:00 ET
After registering, you will receive a Zoom email containing information about joining the meeting.
If you do not see the Zoom email in your inbox, please, check your SPAM/JUNK folder.
If you would like to join the Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group, please sign up here.
- Enoch and the Fallen Angels in the Ethiopian Tradition
- Narsai on the Virgin Mary
- An Anonymous Syriac Dialogue between Mary and the Angel
- Dadisho of Qatar: Questioning the Desert Fathers
- George the Athonite on matters of Faith and Rite, According to the Life of St George the Hagiorite
- Temple, Shekhinah and Prayer in Isaac of Nineveh’s III.VIII
- St. Ephrem’s Commentary on Genesis Ch.3
- Matta el-Meskin/Matthew the Poor (1919-2006): a ‘Contemporary Desert Father’ on Christian Unity
- Epistolary Style in Coptic Letters from the Late Third Century to the Early Fifth Century
- Sarah and the Akedah: a Syriac narrative poem on Genesis 22
- Alexander Schmemann on Theotokos vis-à-vis Kali a Hindu Mother Goddess
- The Opening Prayers of Saint Gregory of Narek’s Book of Lamentations
- Commemorating the saints at Turfan: Mart Shir and Mar Barshabba
- Jacob of Sarug on the Canaanite Woman (Mt 15:21-28, Mk 7:24-30): Biblical Storytelling and Models of Faith
- The Paterik of the Kyivan Caves Monastery: Monk Polikarp in Discourse 14