We are delighted to invite you to the next session of the International Interfaith Reading Group on Psalms in Interfaith Contexts led by Professor Eitan Fishbane, Associate Professor of Jewish Thought from The Jewish Theological Seminary, NY, USA. The session will be chaired by Professor Ellen Davis, Amos Ragan Kearns Distinguished Professor of Bible and Practical Theology, Duke Divinity School, NC, USA
Among Professor Fishbane’s published books are: The Art of Mystical Narrative: A Poetics of the Zohar (Oxford University Press, 2018); As Light Before Dawn: The Inner World of a Medieval Kabbalist (Stanford University Press, 2009); and, most recently, a volume of original (mystically infused) poetry, entitled Embers of Pilgrimage (Panui Publications, 2021).
Here are the details of the session.
Topic: Mystical Reading of Psalm 33
Date: Thursday, 16 December, 2021
Time: TIME: 18:00-19:00 GMT | 19:00-20:00 CEST | 10:00-11:00 PDT | 13:00-14:00 EST
Opening welcome: Dr Erica Mongé-Greer, the University of Oregon Clark Honors College.
Chair: Professor Ellen Davis, Amos Ragan Kearns Distinguished Professor of Bible and Practical Theology, Duke Divinity School, NC, USA
Speaker: Professor Eitan Fishbane, Associate Professor of Jewish Thought, The Jewish Theological Seminary, NY, USA. Author, most recently, of Embers of Pilgrimage (Panui) and The Art of Mystical Narrative (Oxford).
Followed by Q&A session
Venue: Online – Please register below.
We would like to express special gratitude to our Readers:
- Tzipi Zilberstein, Jewish Theological Seminary
- Anastasia Fuentes, Fuller Theological Seminary
Watch the recording of this session here:
If you would like to join the PSALMS in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group, please sign up here.
- When Music Meets Psalms: Psalm 130
- Psalm 132: A Song of Ascents
- Psalm 88: ‘Fists Flailing at the Gates of Heaven’
- Psalm 82: Demanding Justice
- Psalm 51: Contemporary Multifaith Interpretations
- Comparative Reading of Psalms and Abrahams’ Prayers in the Quran
- Psalm 33: Mystical Reading
- Psalm 139
- Psalm 1: Inaugural Session by Revd Dr John Goldingay
- Midrash Tehillim on Psalm 24
- Psalm 19: Muslim Reflections on Creation
- Psalm 46: Singing in Hope and Defiance
- Psalm 131: How I Weaned Myself from the Breast of God