17 February, 2022
We are deeply honoured to announce that Professor Sebastian Brock FBA will lead the Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group.
Please see below the details of this fascinating talk.
The reading material will be circulated to those who will register for this session.
Topic: An Anonymous Syriac dialogue between Mary and the Angel
Speaker: Professor Sebastian Brock, FBA, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, UK.
Chair: Revd Dr Robert Kitchen, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Date: Thursday, 17 February, 2022
Time: 17:00-18:00 GMT
Please register here for this meeting:
- The Miracle of Pilgrimage: A Coptic Journey to the Holy Land During the Ottoman Period
- The Manuscript Project at the Coptic Monastery of St Paul the Hermit at the Red Sea, Egypt
- A Jew Reads the Gospels in Syriac: Azariah de Rossi’s Critique of the Vulgate (1577)
- Setting the Stage: The Rose of Performance in Studying Late Ancient Hymnody
- Nikos Kazantzakis and Orthodox Christianity
- Ephrem the Syrian and a New Beginning in Syriac Poetry
- Mary’s Ordeal: A Syriac Narrative Poem on Many and Joseph
- Resurrection of the Human Body according to John of Dara’s Mimro I:4
- Returning the Ticket: God and Evil in the Brothers Karamazov
- Signs of Miraculousness: The Inimitability of Jacob of Serugh’s Teaching
- Gregory of Nyssa: On the Human Image of God
- Enoch and the Fallen Angels in the Ethiopian Tradition
- Narsai on the Virgin Mary
- ‘Conception by ear’ and Redemption of the Human Sensorium in Ephrem’s Thirty-fifth Madrasha on the Church
- From Edessa to South Arabia and Back: The Syriac Story of Bishop Paul and Priest John and Models of Sanctity in the Medieval Middle East
- Wrestling with Calculating-Thoughts: Mental Training according to Evagrius of Pontus
- An Anonymous Syriac Dialogue between Mary and the Angel
- Dadisho of Qatar: Questioning the Desert Fathers
- George the Athonite on Matters of Faith and Rite, According to the Life of St George the Hagiorite
- Temple, Shekhinah and Prayer in Isaac of Nineveh’s III.VIII
- St. Ephrem’s Commentary on Genesis Ch.3
- 🕯️Alexander Schmemann on Theotokos vis-à-vis Kali a Hindu Mother Goddess
- The Opening Prayers of Saint Gregory of Narek’s Book of Lamentations
- Commemorating the saints at Turfan: Mart Shir and Mar Barshabba
- Jacob of Sarug on the Canaanite Woman (Mt 15:21-28, Mk 7:24-30): Biblical Storytelling and Models of Faith
- The Paterik of the Kyivan Caves Monastery: Monk Polikarp in Discourse 14
- Sarah and the Akedah: a Syriac Narrative Poem on Genesis 22
- Matta el-Meskin/Matthew the Poor: a ‘Contemporary Desert Father’ on Christian Unity
- Epistolary Style in Coptic Letters from the Late Third Century to the Early Fifth Century
- Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras: an Orthodox Dialogue with Islam