10 November, 2022
We are deeply honoured to welcome Dr Myriam Wissa, Catholic University of America, USA, to lead a session of the International Interfaith Reading Group on Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts.
The reading material will be circulated to those who will register in advance.
Here are the details of this fascinating session.
Topic: Epistolary Style in Coptic Letters from the Late Third Century to the Early Fifth Century
Speaker: Dr Myriam Wissa, Catholic University of America, USA.
Chair: Professor Sebastian Brock FBA, University of Oxford, UK.
Date: 10 November, 2022
Time: 17:00-18:00 GMT | 9:00-10:00 PT | 12:00-13:00 ET
After registering, you will receive a Zoom email containing information about joining the meeting.
If you do not see the Zoom email in your inbox, please, check your SPAM/JUNK folder.
If you would like to join the Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group, please sign up here.
The Recording of this fascinating session is available below:
- Resurrection of the Human Body according to John of Dara’s Mimro I:4
- Returning the Ticket: God and Evil in the Brothers Karamazov
- Signs of Miraculousness: The Inimitability of Jacob of Serugh’s Teaching
- Gregory of Nyssa: On the Human Image of God
- Enoch and the Fallen Angels in the Ethiopian Tradition
- Narsai on the Virgin Mary
- ‘Conception by ear’ and Redemption of the Human Sensorium in Ephrem’s Thirty-fifth Madrasha on the Church
- From Edessa to South Arabia and Back: The Syriac Story of Bishop Paul and Priest John and Models of Sanctity in the Medieval Middle East
- Wrestling with Calculating-Thoughts: Mental Training according to Evagrius of Pontus
- An Anonymous Syriac Dialogue between Mary and the Angel
- Dadisho of Qatar: Questioning the Desert Fathers
- George the Athonite on Matters of Faith and Rite, According to the Life of St George the Hagiorite
- Temple, Shekhinah and Prayer in Isaac of Nineveh’s III.VIII
- St. Ephrem’s Commentary on Genesis Ch.3
- 🕯️Alexander Schmemann on Theotokos vis-à-vis Kali a Hindu Mother Goddess
- The Opening Prayers of Saint Gregory of Narek’s Book of Lamentations
- Commemorating the saints at Turfan: Mart Shir and Mar Barshabba
- Jacob of Sarug on the Canaanite Woman (Mt 15:21-28, Mk 7:24-30): Biblical Storytelling and Models of Faith
- The Paterik of the Kyivan Caves Monastery: Monk Polikarp in Discourse 14
- Sarah and the Akedah: a Syriac Narrative Poem on Genesis 22
- Matta el-Meskin/Matthew the Poor: a ‘Contemporary Desert Father’ on Christian Unity
- Epistolary Style in Coptic Letters from the Late Third Century to the Early Fifth Century
- Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras: an Orthodox Dialogue with Islam