27 June, 2022
We are deeply honoured to welcome Professor Theo Maarten van Lint, Calouste Gulbenkian Professor of Armenian Studies, University of Oxford, to lead a session of the Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group.
The reading material will be circulated to those who will register in advance.
Here are the details of this fascinating session.
Topic: The Opening Prayers of Saint Gregory of Narek’s Book of Lamentations
Speaker: Professor Theo Maarten van Lint, Calouste Gulbenkian Professor of Armenian Studies, University of Oxford, UK.
Chair: Professor Sebastian Brock, FBA, University of Oxford, UK.
Date: 27 June, 2022
Time: 17:00-18:00 BST | 9:00-10:00 PT | 12:00-13:00 ET
Please register here for this meeting:
If you missed this session, a recording is available here:
If you would like to join the Eastern Christianity in Interfaith Contexts Reading Group, please sign up here.
- A Jew Reads the Gospels in Syriac: Azariah de Rossi’s Critique of the Vulgate (1577)
- The Manuscript Project at the Coptic Monastery of St Paul the Hermit at the Red Sea, Egypt
- Mary’s Ordeal: A Syriac Narrative Poem on Many and Joseph
- Resurrection of the Human Body according to John of Dara’s Mimro I:4
- Returning the Ticket: God and Evil in the Brothers Karamazov
- Signs of Miraculousness: The Inimitability of Jacob of Serugh’s Teaching
- Gregory of Nyssa: On the Human Image of God
- Enoch and the Fallen Angels in the Ethiopian Tradition
- Narsai on the Virgin Mary
- ‘Conception by ear’ and Redemption of the Human Sensorium in Ephrem’s Thirty-fifth Madrasha on the Church
- From Edessa to South Arabia and Back: The Syriac Story of Bishop Paul and Priest John and Models of Sanctity in the Medieval Middle East
- Wrestling with Calculating-Thoughts: Mental Training according to Evagrius of Pontus
- An Anonymous Syriac Dialogue between Mary and the Angel
- Dadisho of Qatar: Questioning the Desert Fathers
- George the Athonite on Matters of Faith and Rite, According to the Life of St George the Hagiorite
- Temple, Shekhinah and Prayer in Isaac of Nineveh’s III.VIII
- St. Ephrem’s Commentary on Genesis Ch.3
- 🕯️Alexander Schmemann on Theotokos vis-à-vis Kali a Hindu Mother Goddess
- The Opening Prayers of Saint Gregory of Narek’s Book of Lamentations
- Commemorating the saints at Turfan: Mart Shir and Mar Barshabba
- Jacob of Sarug on the Canaanite Woman (Mt 15:21-28, Mk 7:24-30): Biblical Storytelling and Models of Faith
- The Paterik of the Kyivan Caves Monastery: Monk Polikarp in Discourse 14
- Sarah and the Akedah: a Syriac Narrative Poem on Genesis 22
- Matta el-Meskin/Matthew the Poor: a ‘Contemporary Desert Father’ on Christian Unity
- Epistolary Style in Coptic Letters from the Late Third Century to the Early Fifth Century
- Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras: an Orthodox Dialogue with Islam