We are honoured to welcome Dr Chana Shacham-Rosby, Postdoctoral Fellow at the Halpern Centre for the Study of Jewish Self-Perception, Department of Jewish History, Bar Ilan University, Israel, to lead a session of the International Interfaith Reading Group on Eschatology in Interfaith Contexts.
Here are the details of this fascinating event.
Topic: Elijah the Prophet’s Varied Eschatological Roles in Jewish and Christian Discourse
Abstract: In this talk, I will discuss the various roles attributed to Elijah the Prophet in Jewish and Christian eschatological narratives. I will focus on the function of Elijah’s figure in Jewish-Christian polemic about the eschaton, and especially the fate of the Jews. The talk will review a range of written and visual sources and suggest possible avenues of discourse between the communities.
Speaker: Dr Chana Shacham-Rosby, Postdoctoral Fellow at the Halpern Centre for the Study of Jewish Self-Perception, Department of Jewish History, Bar Ilan University, Israel.
Speaker’s bio: Dr Chana Shacham-Rosby received her PhD from the Department of Jewish History at Ben-Gurion University in 2019. Her dissertation, ‘Elijah the Prophet in Medieval Ashkenazi Jewish Culture’, is in production as a book. She was a research fellow at the Center for the Study of Conversion and Inter-Religious Encounters at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (2021), at the Center for Jewish Studies at Harvard University (2022), and is currently at the Halpern Center for the Study of Jewish Self-Perception at Bar Ilan University (2023).
Chair: Professor Reinhard Krauss, Executive Director of the Academy of Judaic, Christian, and Islamic Studies, and Associate Professor of Middle Eastern Studies at Bayan Islamic Graduate School, USA.
Date: 12 December, 2022
Time: 18:00-19:00 GMT | 19:00-20:00 CEST | 10:00-11:00 PT | 12:00-13:00 CT | 13:00-14:00 ET
After registering, you will receive a Zoom email containing information about joining the meeting. If you do not see the Zoom email in your inbox, please, check your spam folder.
- Rabbi Akiva and the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of Redemption
- Visions of the Afterlife in the Work of Ephraem Graecus
- A Comparative History of Catholic and Ash‘arī Theologies of Truth and Salvation
- Developments in Catholic Teaching on Eschatology
- The End of All Things Is at Hand: A Christian Eschatology in Conversation with Science and Islam
- Embodied Cognition and the Soul: Lessons from Cognitive Science and Christian Eschatology
- Eschatology and Politics in Christianity
- Eschatology and Theodicy in the Qu’ran
- From Passive to Active: Gender and Atonement in Mary’s Tours of Hell
- Elijah the Prophet’s Varied Eschatological Roles in Jewish and Christian Discourse